Skip to main content

To a half dead friend

Dear friend, hang on! 
I know you feel half dead. 
Still, hang on! 
I know you are drowning in darkness. 
I know it is hard to breathe. 
Still, my friend, hang on!
I am not telling you, 
my friend,  
not to be afraid,  
not to feel the cold. 

I respect this wave of darkness 
that comes crawling, 
enwraping our bodies, 
suffocating our dreams, 
making us forget 
the purpose of breathing, 
the process of breathing. 

I'm not telling you to be strong. 
You already are.
I'm not asking you to control the monsters,
to kill the seven headed dragon, 
to hold its heart in your hands. 
No, my friend, 
just hang on! 

Baby steps towards light
forceful little movements 
away from the dark.
Every day a small conquest.
Every night a little dream. 

A short walk in the sun
The contemplation of a flower, 
its elaborate simplicity 
The gazing at a single star in the sky, 
proof of our insignificance, 
of our connection with it all

The feel of water on your skin, 
the soothing warm temperature
or its energizing cold
The harmony of a song, 
the beat that makes the heart pound, 
the words that show you are not alone

Do Yoga.
Your body stretching, 
your mind resting for a split of second
Take a hundred photographs 
of the very same thing 
See other angles, 
other sides, other stories

Caress your own hair until you sleep, 
You deserve to be caressed
Be gentle to your half dead soul

Details, my friend! 
Life can resume from details
One brief smile every day

Force yourself 
to be around those who love you,
Do not set deadlines
Do not care for watches or calendars

Ignore the shortcomings 
of those who never met the dark seven headed dragon
Forgive them,
for they do not know!

Remember you are loved! 
I know
To be loved can be a burden 
when you want to let all go
Still, do! 

Remember you're loved
There is a reason it is so
There is light in you!
There is love in you! 
There is life in you!
Hang on, my friend! Hang on! 
And you shall see it too! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The kind of person who lights candles

  I am the kind of person who lights candles. This is now, not then. it is a recently acquired habit, one that has done me well. I light up candles every day. In the beginning of each class I set up an intention, I focus and I light the candle. I ask myself to be the light, to be the container, not the conduit. I am now the kind of person Who walks barefoot on the grass of my backyard and lets herself shower in the improbable rain of Brasilia in May.  The four elements rest now on my desk making my therapist smile when told about them, making her proud of myself and my journey. I am the kind of person that feels the connection with the elements, and nature and the universe, so new. I am again a newborn being. And it is not the first time, I have once died and it’s no secret. This time, however, I did not have to die. I had only to shed the old skin, the one who served me no more. I am still the kind of person who looks in the mirror and who wonders who this new being is. This new self

No espelho

  Olhei hoje para o espelho e me vi mais serena, me enxerguei com mais leveza. Não que esteja de fato mais leve, eu acho. Ou será que estou? Tenho ainda infinitas incertezas e dúvidas aos milhares, mas a imagem que me olhou de volta do espelho, não me olha com tristeza, dor pânico.     A imagem que vejo nesse espelho é de     calma, no olhar certa paz, talvez de se entender humana, imperfeita e aceitar essa condição.     Aqui, deste lado que estou, me observando no espelho, sinto ainda o coração encolher como se uma mão o quisesse esmagar. Encolhe-se para sobreviver e expande-se em seguida. Ao encolher-se, a respiração dá uma pausa e uma bolha de cristal sobe em refluxo, pausando ali no meio da goela. Assim que pode, o coração retorna a seu pulsar, seu ir e vir. Permanecem ali as dúvidas, as exigências, as demandas, mas também os desejos de só ser, irresponsavelmente ser e atender a cada quimera. Porque a vida é curta! A vida é sopro!    E o outro? Os outros? Todos os outros?  É precis

Sobre os artistas - Para Bruno Sandes

  Créditos da imagem: Jacobs School of Music Marketing and Publicity